BluesEd Audition Information
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING STUDENT/PARENT INFORMATION BEFORE YOU SIGN UP TO AUDITION:
- Auditions for the 2020 season will take place in mid February.
- The BluesEd "season" is mostly April to August. BluesEd is akin to a select sport with rehearsals being held 1-2 times per week, usually 2 hours at a time, and numerous performances per week. Students and parents alike will need to be at the venue to setup, do sound checks and be prepared at least one hour prior to the show. Many of our performances are all evening or all afternoon events. Some bands choose to perform out of town which requires travel, occasional overnight stays (with parental supervision) with the subsequent expenses. These are at the family's responsibility.
- Most performance opportunities are not paid. Bands do have flexibility to seek external, paid performances, but BluesEd is fundamentally an educational program.
- You will learn and play music from the blues genre. This is the fundamental tenet of the program.
- Preregistration with a $10 audition fee is required. You will be contacted and given the location and your exact audition time prior to the audition. Specific information about auditions (what to bring, what to prepare etc.) can be found under "Additional Audition Information" at the bottom of this page. Thank you for your interest in BluesEd and Good Luck!
BluesEd is a non-profit program that relies heavily on parent assistance in order to keep costs down and to keep the quality and value of the program extremely high.
- Parents are expected to contribute to the program their time and financial support. This will be most concentrated in the summer months.
- Oftentimes the venues for BluesEd performances are at establishments that serve alcohol so parental supervision of students under the age of 18 is required by the program. Parents or other guardians will be required to attend and stay at the events, not only for their students band but other BluesEd bands as well.
- All students and parents will be called upon to help with setup, tear down and other preparations for performances. Please consider this time commitment carefully prior to having your student audition.
To participate in the BluesEd program students must be 12-18 years old and currently in middle or high school. In addition, students must:
Be proficient with their instrument, which includes having a basic knowledge of chords and some soloing abilities. This means musicians and vocalists should be at least an advanced beginner, able to read some music and know the fundamentals of scales, chords, beats, etc. We cannot accept beginning students at this time.
- Vocalists should have the ability to learn and memorize lyrics. You will be required to memorize up to 120 minutes of music for performances. Early season shows require at least 45 minutes of memorized material.
- You must have some experience in performance, at least recitals. Vocalists should be in choir or other singing group, Musicians should be enrolled in band at their school or taking private lessons that has recitals or performances.
- All BluesEd students must be prepared with equipment needed to perform. For vocalists, this includes a microphone, stand and cable. For musicians, this includes instruments, cables, amps, drums, keyboard, etc.
- Have some basic knowledge of playing blues music.
- Have the time and desire to practice at home and be committed to all performances with their assigned band. This could be up to 25 performances during the BluesEd Season.
- Be willing to study songs by listening and charting the basic structure as homework for the workshops and general set lists.
- Have basic organizational skills (bringing their notebook, charting music, keeping track of the music, lyrics, charts, etc).
- Coming prepared to workshops/rehearsals/performances with all necessary equipment and arrive in time to have all equipment setup before the start time.
Further questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.